An innovative strategist
A compassionate listener
A step in the right direction
Having both lived and practiced law north of the Canadian border most of my working life, my experiences are unlike most West Coast conflict resolution professionals. Getting an infant into a one-piece snowsuit and off to daycare, in -30 degree weather and 3 feet of snow, to catch a train to the office at 7 a.m., and finding the car snowed in - in 3 inch heels and without a shovel - takes some serious problem-solving skills.
Understanding that all things in life can't be fixed with a cardboard box, some duct tape, and an old grocery bag (but secretly hoping they could), I set out to Southern California where I trained and worked with some of the country's top mediators, earning my Masters of Laws (LL.M.) in Dispute Resolution from the highly acclaimed Straus Institute at Pepperdine University's School of Law. This set the stage for Winestone Mediation, where I work to help families out of their own seemingly impossible snow banks, arising from their separation, divorce, and child custody conflicts.
- LAW SOCIETY OF UPPER CANADA (2006-2015)
- CALIFORNIA STATE BAR (2015)
- LL.M. (Dispute Resolution), Straus Institute - Pepperdine University School of Law (2015)
- J.D. University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law (2005)
- B.A. (Hon.) (English and French), University of Western Ontario (2002)
ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Co-Chair, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Mediation Section
- Board Member, Los Angeles Collaborative Family Law Association
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, California Chapter
- Dispute Settlement Officer, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Liaison and Consultant for High Conflict Institute (New Ways for Families)
- Former Associations and Memberships: Instructor for Women's Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF) (2004-2009), Member Advocate's Society (2006-2013), Member Ontario Bar Association (2006-2013), Member Collaborative Practice Toronto, Peel/Halton and International Collaborative Law Association
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Recipient of Straus Institute Entrance Fellowship (Pepperdine University)
- Wendy Landes Recognition Award for Excellence in Family Law Dispute Resolution Studies (California State Bar, Family Law Section)
- CALI Award for Advanced Mediation Seminar (Pepperdine University)
- April 2018: Panelist Presenter at USC Law School program "Non-Traditional and Unexplored Career Paths for Mediators" co-sponsored by SCMA, USC Gould Judge Judith O. Hollinger ADR Program and USC Gould Dispute Resolution Society
- December 2014 to Present (bi-annual): Coaching Corporate Executives, Lawyers and Business Leaders at the Women’s Negotiation Academy.
- January 2018 (USC Law School) and August 2016: Presenting Seminar “Launching Your Mediation Practice”
- 2016 to Present (monthly): Leading Mediation Preparation Course at Levitt & Quinn for clients and community members preparing for mandatory custody mediation
- November 2017 - Presented Parent Workshop: "Everything I Know About Co-Parenting and Divorce, I Learned In Kindergarten (...And a Few Things I Didn't, But Wish I Had)"
- October 2016: Presenting Parent Workshop "The Kids Are Watching: How Parental Conflict Affects Children and How to Deal With It In Your Relationship"
- May 2016: Coached JD and LL.M. students at Pepperdine for the Mediation Clinic Course
- March 2016: Presented seminar to JD Students on the “Top 5 Negotiation Mistakes of Junior Lawyers” at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine Law School.
- March 2016: Presented seminar on “High Conflict Personalities” at Los Angeles County Bar Association
- February 2016: Co-moderated panel on proposed California law reform to Mediation Confidentiality at The Beverly Hills Bar Association
Collaborative Family Law
New Ways for Families